As Part of the LCR4.0 project (ERDF) – the Virtual Engineering Centre and Science Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) Hartree Centre saw an opportunity to pair the two Technologies as a collaborative project. Campus Technology Hub (STFC) worked closely with Heap and Partner’s in-house design team to review and prepare an existing CAD of a large valve assembly for use in 3D printing. CTH defined the moving parts and functionality of the 3D print, eventually creating a scaled down 3D printed prototype.
The Virtual Engineering Centre then produced an iOS-based AR program using industry standard tools, based upon a CAD drawing supplied by Heap and Partners which acta as a companion technology to the 3D printed valve.Download Case Study
The support meant that Heap & Partners could:
- Use existing CAD data to print a large 3D valve with moving parts and functionality
- Demonstrate products with iOS based AR
- Plan future digital strategies to increase business productivity
- Invest in an onsite 3D printer for rapid prototyping
- Improved processes
- Increased productivity
- Increased market competitiveness
- Improved communication
"The VEC has taken us into new areas and introduced us to new and innovative technologies, which have truly helped to transform our business. It was a wonderful collaboration."
Heap & Partners Ltd