Following on from recent externally funded activity, the Virtual Engineering Centre (VEC) is now expanding its Technical Team, we are now seeking candidates to join our team in the role of Interactive Experience Developer. Optionally the role includes fully funded part-time PhD studentship (UK nationals only).
You will work primarily at the Virtual Engineering Centre (VEC) facility located within the Digital Innovation Facility, but also interact with, and work with staff at the Virtual Engineering Centre at Sci-Tech Daresbury.
You will be motivated and able to contribute to the development of capability in Virtual Engineering and support the growth of the Centre. You will join a multidisciplinary team focusing on:
- Data Analytics and data processing
- Virtual reality/augmented reality/mixed reality application development
- Digital twin and digital threads
- Digital Heritage
- Blockchain applications
- Design optimisation, manufacture and assembly
- High fidelity simulations
- Architectures for distributed simulation
You should have experience in:
Developing applications for Unreal Engine, Unity or any relevant game engine, with knowledge of blueprint or script creation and communication. Skills may include user interface design, networking, VR, AR, Cloud Deployment/Pixel Streaming, integrating external data such as point cloud or CAD files and Level Streaming/World Partition.
Using one or more game engine related programming language such as C++, C#, and related development environments (Visual Studio, NetBeans, Eclipse, etc).
It would be desirable to have experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Development and deployment of XR apps for one or more HMDs (e.g., HTC Vive/Focus 3, HoloLens, Oculus Rift), LeapMotion, AR devices
- 3D modelling in an application such as Autodesk 3DS Max/Maya, Cinema4D or Blender.
- Version Control software packages: GitHub and BitBucket
- Reality capture workflows (hardware and software) using photogrammetry or laser scanning technologies (e.g. LEICA, Creaform).
- Large-scale display technologies and Tracking Systems.
- Procedural modelling in Houdini.
- Authoring high quality PBR shaders in Adobe Substance 3D Painter/Designer, and Quixel Mixer for real-time rendering.
- Agile scrum methodology
The post is available until 1 May 2026.